Highly Effective Mathematics Teaching
|Programme Lead||Mark Hartley - Barnes Primary School|
|Focus Group||Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 teachers plus Maths subject leaders|
|Time Offered||One day|
|Cost||£650 for a maximum of 2 teachers per school with additional delegates at £200 each|
Mark Hartley has been the Headteacher of Barnes Primary School for ten years. He is in his second headship and has led two schools with widely contrasting profiles. Both have been judged to be outstanding by Ofsted.
At his current school pupils consistently achieve unusually high outcomes in mathematics: 84% was the three year average for Level 5; with 38% being the Level 6 average (2013-15) prior to the recent changes in how assessment is measured. In the 2016 SATs the average scaled score for mathematics was 108.2.
This course will focus on how such high standards have consistently been achieved. At this event you will receive a wide range of practical resources and these can be put to immediate use in the classroom.
By the end of the day participants will:
- Have a range of practical ideas regarding how to speed up children’s mental arithmetic skills
- Know how to build solid foundations for lower attaining mathematicians who find this subject difficult
- Understand the theory and principles of maths mastery and consider its implications
- Have clear ideas about the best practical resources (manipulatives) to use in the classroom
- Have analysed films of highly effective mathematics teaching: looking at what teachers do to secure pupils’ learning